Saturday, May 18, 2013

Zambia: Victoria Falls

We made it to our backpackers in Livingstone which is another really adorable tourist town because it is so close to one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World which are these: added onto my bucket list to see all of these before I die.
Anyways so we made it to the Backpackers which was really cool and set up transport and activities at the falls and around the town.  We just sort of wandered around and hung out the first day working on getting our bearings, exploring the town and hanging out at the backpackers reading, eating and talking to other backpackers.  The next day was probably one of the best days of the trip- actually maybe the best day of the entire trip BECAUSE, speaking of bucket lists... I bungee jumped over Victoria Falls! 111meters straight down, head first, 4 second free fall and the coolest experience of my entire career.  So we showed up at the bridge that connects Zambia and Zimbabwe and there is an extreme sporting activity place on the bridge where you can do a 110ft swing, bungee jump and zipline from one country to another so of course, I had to do all three.  First was the bungee jump and I had been sort of preparing myself for it because I knew that if I didn't I would chicken out but I payed my money, got in my harness and stepped out onto the platform where they wrapped towels around my ankles and rope around the towels that they attached to the bungee chord. I just starred at them wondering if they were joking because it did NOT seem secure at all so I told them that my mom would be really sad if I died and they said I wasn't going to.  I stood on the very edge of the bridge with my toes dangling over the end and then they counted.. 5-4-3-2-1-BUNGEE and I jumped out as hard and far as I could.  First thought: I'm gonna die.  Second thought: Man I am falling fast. Third though: I did it! This is so fun!  Fourth thought: Dang this is awesome. I never want to stop bouncing!  After about thought two, I started laughing, not just laughing but this weird giggle thing that occurred until I was on my feet again.  So I fell and bounced back up and fell again and bounced up and down like 5 times before I hung upside down and waited for the guy to come and get me.  Best experience ever.  









How neat is that?  Pretty neat I would say.  When I got back up to the bridge I was on such an adrenaline rush I was bouncing all over the place and talking to all sorts of random strangers.  Then it was my turn to do the big swing and for some reason I was even more nervous for that- mostly because as soon as you got hooked in, the rope pulled you forward really hard but I pulled myself together picked a tree right in front of me and stepped off the platform. The rush of that wind in your face and you loosing your breath for a good three seconds- not being able to catch a breath is the most bizarre and exhilarating thing- this goes for both the bungee and the swing. 



I finished with the zipline from Zambia to Zimbabwe and sadly it was not as cool as the other ones, I think if I had started with it, it would have been way awesome but since I did the swing and bungee first, it was sort of no big deal but doing those three activities was the coolest thing ever!

After I finished the activities, Anna and I decided we should actually go take a peak at Victoria Falls since all we could see from the bridge was mist...  It was spectacular.  I have never seen so much water in my entire life and mind you, it was a clear blue sky day but after walking the path through the falls, we were soaked from head to toe, why? Because there is so much water, it hits the rocks below and mist sprays back up and hits you like its pouring rain- of course I found this highly entertaining and again was dancing and laughing and gawking at the falls. 






before...dry


after...soaked
Great day, beautiful place, extremely fun activities. Winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment