Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cheesy Mothers Day Post

Dear Mom-

I know I am your favorite daughter (you don't have to admit that to Kristin or Mary) and I figured I would let you know that you are also my favorite mother.  I figured since it is mothers day today I would write you a little letter telling you how much I appreciate your love, support, and wisdom.  I haven't seen you in more than 4 months and since leaving the nest, I have realized all of the little things you taught me that have made all the difference. You taught me to work hard and play hard.  You taught me kindness is the most important thing, but you also taught me to be strong and not take crap from anyone.  You taught me how to do laundry and brush my teeth.  You taught me how to talk and walk and see things for how they really are.  I take for granted the little things like that but its thanks to you that I have become the independent person that I am today.  I see myself becoming more and more like you as I grow up- your stubbornness and snarky attitude and dry sense of humor and I am thankful for that.  The only thing greater than having you as a mom is knowing that one day, my kids will get to have you and dad as grandparents. Growing up in your lab doing little science experiments and testing the chemical shower, eating burger king in the cafeteria and watching movies in giant conference rooms are some of the best memories of my childhood. Making teepees out of sticks in Yellowstone and picking wild flowers at the cabin property are priceless memories.  Playing in the front yard while you were busy gardening with a 100lb golden retriever on your lap, sipping a cold diet coke and humming James Taylor music is what I imagine when I think of you.  You always used to save me the last sip of your diet coke and continue to always save me the heal on a loaf of bread. I have never had a dream that you have discouraged (besides skydiving) and I have no clue how many terrible concerts, plays and sporting events you sat through just to support me.  It is thanks to you that I have had the opportunity to spend these past few months finding myself on the other side of the world.  Sorry for being the loose cannon of the house that always missed curfew and on a daily basis forgets to tell you where I am going or where I have been. Thanks for being patient with me changing life plans every semester when I break down right around exam time and encouraging me to keep pushing through no matter what.  Dad is one lucky guy- he was smart to buy you those taco shells and roses. I think at some point we should do a family humanitarian trip- it is so you and dad's personality and I think our family would become closer than we already are working together to help someone else.

Anyways thanks for picking my nose, brushing my hair, wiping my tears, painting my fingernails, popping my blisters, putting on bandaids, loving dad and loving Kristin, Mary and me.  We are so lucky to have you- don't you dare go anywhere. Ever.

I love you.
Sarah




Proof that my mom is awesome:  I just got an email from my little sister with my mothers face starring at me... only thing was it was my mothers face super twisted by photo booth on her MacBook.  One of my favorite things about my mom- when she thinks something is funny, she really looses it.  Generally it starts with a loud burst of laughter followed by tears streaming down her face.  Pained facial expressions accompanied by a strange mixture of laughing and crying means my mother has hit near hysteria.  A few things that set her off... photo booth, bodily functions such as burping and farting, and cough cough me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment