Once we got to our lodge we realized why this is considered the tourist area of Malawi. We literally were camping on the beach and it was awesome. We made pretty good time, I think this was the first place we got before it was dark outside so we did a little bit of exploring along the beach which is BEAUTIFUL and then we ended up at the little restaurant at our lodge reading and watching music videos from the 1980's which was strangely wonderful [thank you mom and dad for raising me on music from that generation].
Anyways after an embarrassingly long time of being intrigued by the Beach Boys, Madonna and New Kids on The Block we met up with some locals that were having a bonfire on the beach and playing the bongo drums and singing. They all let us have a go at playing the drums and I was the only one that could sort of keep a beat- although even that is generous to say because my beat was hitting the drum every three seconds to their crazy beats. It was awesome to listen to them sing though.
Then these 4 guys decided we should tell stories and so they started but I am pretty sure the guy that was telling them had the word "story" and the word "riddle" confused because he kept telling us riddles and then explaining that he was a really good story teller. We went with it and Audrey blew them all away with the story of the three little pigs (although most of them had tuned out by the second little pig building his house of sticks). One of them came a parked it right next to me and decided to confess his love and ask me to marry him which was intriguing. side note: this is common. But the catch here was that when we went back to our lodge he followed me telling me how he couldn't live without me, so as gentle as I could be I explained that I live in the United States and would probably never see him again, but thanks for the offer.
The next morning we went exploring through the village but since it was a Sunday, almost nothing was open but we found a tiny internet cafe so I could tell my family I was still alive and the guy in charge told us about this sweet kayaking deal, we could rent kayaks for the day and go snorkeling. Guess who gave us the kayaks? My almost husband. Awesome. But it actually ended up being so much fun! None of us had a ton of experience kayaking but we tried anyways. Claire was a champ- she tipped us over trying to get in but after we were in the boat, we were cruising. So we kayaked out to this island where there was actually some awesome snorkeling so we spent a good hour swimming around with fish that were yellow and blue.
After we decided we had seen just about all the fish this area of the lake had to offer, we made the courageous decision to try kayaking around the island. It ended up being a good one because it was so nice and beautiful and I really like kayaking (possibly a hobby for back home?) but it is not easy. By the end my arms were like jello and blisters were beginning to appear on my hands- BATTLE SCARS.
So that was way fun. Then we were all pretty pooped out and starving so we went to the only open restaurant in town, got food (which took forever) and went back to our lodge on the beach for the rest of the evening where we had a movie night and watched some really old Tom Cruise movie that I enjoyed more than I probably should have. The sun sets here were amazing though, I love sunsets all the time but these ones just happen to be extra pretty or something like that.
I love Lake Malawi.








No comments:
Post a Comment