This post is a late Fathers Day Post because why? Well since I am back at camp in Montana I have very limited time for being on my computer- hence me not finishing my Africa posts yet, but I most defiantly will because my older sister and mother had a genius idea of my making my adventures into a book- seems like a good plan so yes, I will finish my Arica blogs eventually but, like I said, that is not why I am blogging today.
Bott, this ones for you.
My dad is one heck of a guy. I have never seen a challenge he couldn't overcome with kindess and patience. I have never seen a person he could not befriend. I have never seen more gentle and caring eyes. He is the first one I want to talk to when things are bad. He is also the first one I want to talk to when things are really great. Why? Because he knows how to listen, and not just sort of listen... but really listen. Also, I am proud to say my father is a worthy priesthood holder which has been the glue holding my family together for my 21 years and longer still.
Once upon a time there was a little girl that squirmed non-stop, would not sit still and even managed to wiggle her way out of her car seat a few times- her dad nic-named her BUG. Then she turned three and got pretty sick which was a bummer but no worries because she got better (even though it took some work due to her extra stubborn personality). Then came elementary school, middle school and high school where she went through phases of wearing tights and dresses everyday, to acting and dressing like a boy, to being an awkward teenager with braces and acne, to breaking curfew every weekend and playing soccer every day. Then she decided to go to the University of Utah for college, working late nights, switch careers every semester and travel pretty much anywhere she possibly could. Now- that is Bug's story at first glance but what people don't see is the influence that her father had on her through all of this. [Don't mind me switching to first person]...my dad was in the back ground of every little thing that has happened in my life. He was the one that gave me my baby blessing and my name, he was the one that gave me a blessing when I was sick, he is the one that gave me a blessing before every school year, he is the one that was patient when I was stubborn. He used to take us to gymnastic meets every weekend and buy us Dip-N-Dots, he tried to teach me how to fish, even though I would always feel bad for the fish and have to throw it back (at least he didn't throw me in the water when he taught me how to fish, my mom did), he raised me as a Patriots football fan, he used to play tickle monster with us and we would get laughing so hard-sorry that I peed on you that once. Your fault. We also used to play lump in the bed- Kristin and I would hide under the covers for hours just to have him roll on top of us and pretend we were lumps in his bed. He was at every concert and every soccer game. Every swim meet and musical. He was there. He was cheering. And he has always been my #1 fan.
I have always had a pretty special bond with my dad, he can tell when days are crappy, nights are long and I just need someone to talk too. I used to watch the special bond that he and his mother used to have-and think, I am so lucky to have that relationship with my daddy too.
Everyone that meets that old guy loves him, they would describe him as gentle and kind and REALLY good at telling REALLY bad jokes. They probably have never seen him get so focused on something that his tongue pokes out and he bites it just a tad. They have probably never seen the way that he makes is tomato soup. They have probably never seen how good he is at the puzzels in the newspaper. What they probably have seen is the way his face lights up with he sees my mom. They may also have noticed the way his fingers fit perfectly around a fishing pole. And perhaps if they are super lucky, they have seen him share his testimony. My dad has a quiet testimony but it is strong and it is firm and it because of him that I will get to be with my family forever which is something that I will never be able to express my gratitude for.
He has kept the priesthood a central role and example in my home which makes it lovely to be home- because it is always peaceful there. He is going to be just about the best grandpa ever- like I said to my mom, the only thing better then having my mom and dad as parents is knowing that one day my kids will have them as grandparents.
Thanks for everything you do for me Bott.
I love you so much.
p.s. How do you catch a bunny?
...you grab it... ba da chhhhhh.


No comments:
Post a Comment